(Dr. agr., Univ. of Bonn, Germany), Ph.D. (Agricultural Science), ICAR-IF
Santanu Mukherjee is an Assistant Professor at the MS Swaminathan School of Agriculture. He obtained his PhD (magna-cum-laude) from the University of Bonn and worked as a guest scientist in FZJ, Juelich. He was a visiting researcher at the Savannah River Ecological Laboratory, USA.
Santanu Mukherjee is the recipient of multiple accolades such as the India-Japan Hiyoshi Young Leaf award, EGU-Young Scientist Travel Award, ICAR international fellowship, Hutchison Young Scientists Foundation Awards, SERB-GOI Fellowships, GRIFA (Italian Pesticide Agency) grant, EU-COST action biochar grant, etc. He has received a total of 22 awards and fellowships. His research interest include the Fate of Emerging Contaminants, Biogeochemical Transformation of Nutrients, and the role of dissolved and particulate organic matter in deciding contaminants fate in the environment. He is serving as a reviewer of many Scopus indexed journals.
At present, he is PI of the UK-GCRF funded project entitled, “Tackling Pharmaceutical and Personal Care Product Pollutants in the North-Western Himalayan Region of India”, (PI-India), Fund: 9.90 Lakh INR–(PI)” in collaboration with Lancaster University, UK.
Mukherjee has 29 publications including research papers, book chapters and edited books having total citation of approximately 275 (google scholar). He has visited several countries like Spain, France, Austria, Poland, Netherland, Germany, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Belgium, Czech Republic, USA etc., to attend conferences and workshops.
He is also an active member of eight national and international professional societies.
- Mukherjee, S., and Kumar, M., 2021. Cycling of Black Carbon and Black Nitrogen in the Hydro-geosphere: Insights on the Paradigm, Pathway, and Processes. Science of the total Environment (SCI impact factor: 6.551).
- Mukherjee, S., Thakur, A.K., Goswami, R., Mazumder, P., Taki, K., Vithanage, M. and Kumar, M., 2021. Efficacy of agricultural waste derived biochar for arsenic removal: Tackling water quality in the Indo-Gangetic plain. Journal of Environmental Management, 281, p.111814 (SCI impact factor: 5.647).
- Raval, N.P., Mukherjee, S., Shah, N.K., Gikas, P. and Kumar, M., 2020. Hexametaphosphate cross-linked chitosan beads for the eco-efficient removal of organic dyes: Tackling water quality. Journal of Environmental Management, p.111680 (SCI impact factor: 5.647).
- Mukherjee, S., Mehta, D., Dhangar, K. and Kumar, M., 2020. Environmental fate, distribution and state-of-the-art removal of antineoplastic drugs: a comprehensive insight. Chemical Engineering Journal, p.127184 (SCI impact factor: 10.652).
- Kumar, M., Mazumder, P., Mohapatra, S., Thakur, A.K., Dhangar, K., Taki, K., Mukherjee, S., Patel, A.K., Bhattacharya, P., Mohapatra, P. and Rinklebe, J., 2020. A chronicle of SARS-CoV-2: seasonality, environmental fate, transport, inactivation, and antiviral drug resistance. Journal of Hazardous Materials, p.124043 (SCI impact factor: 9.038).
- Mukherjee, S., Mazumder, P., Joshi, M., Joshi, C., Dalvi, S.V. and Kumar, M., 2020. Biomedical application, drug delivery and metabolic pathway of antiviral nanotherapeutics for combating viral pandemic: A review. Environmental Research, 191, p.110119 (SCI impact factor: 5.715).
- Khursheed, A., Alam, S., Tyagi, V.K., Nagpure, A.S., Khan, A.A., Gaur, R.Z., Singh, S., Bhattacharya, P., Mukherjee, S. and Kumar, M., 2020. Future liasing of the lockdown during COVID-19 pandemic: The dawn is expected at hand from the darkest hour. Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 11, p.100433 (SCI cite score: 3.7).
- Mukherjee, S., Kumari, D., Joshi, M., An, A.K. and Kumar, M., 2020. Low-cost bio-based sustainable removal of lead and cadmium using a polyphenolic bioactive Indian curry leaf (Murraya koengii) powder. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 226, p.113471 (SCI impact factor: 4.801).
- Taki, K., Mukherjee, S., Patel, A.K. and Kumar, M., 2020. Reappraisal review on geopolymer: A new era of aluminosilicate binder for metal immobilization. Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management, p.100345 (SCI cite score: 5.40).
- Kumar M, Gogoi A, *Mukherjee S. Metal removal, partitioning and phase distributions in the wastewater and sludge: Performance evaluation of conventional, upflow anaerobic sludge blanket and downflow hanging sponge treatment systems. J Cleaner Production 2019; 0959-6526(19)34296-9 *(Listed as second author) (SCI impact factor: 7.2
- Shim J, Kumar M, *Mukherjee S, Goswami R. Sustainable removal of pernicious arsenic and cadmium by a novel composite of MnO2 impregnated alginate beads: A cost-effective approach for wastewater treatment. J Environ Manage 2019; 234:8-20. *(Listed as second author) (SCI impact factor: 5.647).
- Mukherjee S. Low cost biofilter system for pesticides decontamination Pestic. Res. J. 2016; 28:255- 264. 13Mukherjee S, Weihermueller L, Tappe W, Vereecken H, Burauel P. Microbial respiration of biochar- and digestate-based mixtures. Biol. Fertil. Soils 2016; 52:151- 164 (SCI impact factor: 5.521).
- Mukherjee S, Tappe W, Weihermueller L, Hofmann D, Koeppchen S, Laabs V, Schroeder T, Vereecken H, Burauel P. Dissipation of bentazone, pyrimethanil and boscalid in biochar and digestate based soil mixtures for biopurification systems. Sci. Total Environ. 2016; 544:192-202 (SCI impact factor : 6.551.
- Mukherjee S, Tappe W, Weihermueller L, Hofmann D, Koeppchen S, Laabs V, Vereecken H, Burauel P. Sorption-desorption behavior of bentazone, boscalid and pyrimethanil in biochar and digestate based soil mixtures for biopurification systems. Sci. Total Environ. 2016; 559: 63-73 (SCI impact factor: 6.551.
Book Chapters and Books:
- Edited a book entitled “River Basin Ecohydrology in the Indian sub-continent: Sustainable Strategies and Sustenance”. In AL.Ramanathan, Manish Kumar, Sangam Shrestha, Keisuke Kuroda, Mukherjee S Editors. Publisher Elsevier.; 2021 (Contract No: F2B25502-97BC-44E2-B8BB-80840C6B5477).
- Mukherjee S, Kumar S, Srivastava A. Radiation Hazard Evaluation of Soil and Water Samples around Century Paper Mill (Lalkuan) Contaminated With Fly Ash. In: Rai AK, Das IML, Uttam KN, editors. Emerging Trends in Laser and Spectroscopy and Applications. New Delhi: Allied Publishers Pvt Ltd; 2009. p. 333-336.
- Mukherjee S. Microbial Respiration and Degradation: Are they Principle components of Bioremediation? In: S. C. Santra and A. Mallick Editors. Recent Biotechnological applications in India, Govt. in India. Published by ENVIS Centre on Environmental Biotechnology (Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate change) (ISBN: 9789352549078-PB, 9789352549085-HB); 2016. p. 122-40.
- Mukherjee S, Weihermueller L, Vereecken H. SDG-3: Healthier lives through avoidance of soil pollution. In: P.L.G. Vlek and L. Tamene Editors. The threat of land degradation to realizing the SDGs and its remedies. Published by CGIAR Research Program on Dryland Systems (CIAT and ICARDA); 2017. p. 24-26.
- Mukherjee S, Weihermueller L. Biochar- an anthropogenic pyrogenic amendment. In: A. Rakshit, B. Sarkar and P.C. Abhilash Editors. Soil Amendments for Sustainability: Challenges and Perspectives. Published by CRC Press (Taylor and Francis Group) (Boca Raton, FL 33487, USA) (ISBN: 9780815370772_C0011); 2017. p. 153-165.
- Mukherjee S, Patel AK, Kumar M. Water Scarcity and Land Degradation Nexus in the era of Anthropocene: Some reformations to encounter the Environmental Challenges for advanced Water Management systems meeting the Sustainable Development, In Manish
- Kumar, Vikrant Jain, Daniel Snow, and Ryo Honda Editors: Emerging Issues in the Water Environment during Anthropocene: A South East Asian Perspective (ISBN 978- 93-81891-41-4), Publisher Springer Nature, Singapore; 2019.
- Mukherjee S, Kumar M. Social LCA in sustainable bioresource bioeconomy, In Ashok Pandey, Deepak Pant, Rupam Kataki, and Samir Khanal Editors: Current Developments in Biotechnology and Bioengineering: Sustainable Bioresources for Emerging Bioeconomy, Publisher Elsevier; 2019 (ISBN: 978-0-444-64309-4).
- Edited a book entitled “Contaminants of Emerging Concern in Drinking and Wastewater Source: Current status, Challenges, and Reigning Technologies around the world”. In Manish Kumar, Dan D. Snow, Ryo Honda, Mukherjee S Editors. Publisher Springer Nature, Singapore Pte Ltd.; 2019 (ISBN: 978-981-15-4599-3).
- Pradhan, N., Mukherjee, S. and Kumar, M., 2020. An overview of natural water contamination and sustainable attenuation techniques: challenges and opportunities. In Contaminants in Drinking and Wastewater Sources (pp.349-365). Springer Nature, Singapore (ISBN: 978-981-15-4599-3).
- Sarkar, D.J., Sarkar, S.D., Mukherjee, S., and Das, B.K., 2020. Impact and Fate of Microplastics in the Riverine Ecosystem. In Contaminants in Drinking and Wastewater Sources (pp. 95-115). Springer Nature, Singapore (ISBN: 978-981-15-4599-3).
International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health (Special Issue: Eighth PhD student’s workshop: Water and Health – Cannes 2016) SI: Water and Health – Cannes 2016 (Volume 220, Issue 3, Pages 511-646, May 2017).
a) SCOPUS INDEXED JOURNALS : Agriculture, Ecosystem and Environment, Environmental Research, Science of the total Environment, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Chemosphere, Biochar, Journal of Environmental Management, International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, International Journal of Environmental Analytical Chemistry, Groundwater for Sustainable Development.
b) DST-SERB scheme -"High Risk High Reward (HRR)" and “Core Research Grant (CRG)’’ (2018-2019).