MSc NET, PhD (Environmental Microbiology)
Dr Gaurav Saxena has made significant contributions in the national and international arena and has received several awards and honours for scientific research. His academic contributions include, international scientific papers, reviews, book reviews, book chapters, edited and authored books published by Elsevier, Springer Nature, Taylor & Francis, and Wiley, as well as conference papers, popular science articles, and well-published articles with 1015 citations, 14 h-index, and 18 i10-index.
He has two years of teaching experience and received his PhD (2020) in Environmental Microbiology from B.B. Ambedkar Central University, Lucknow (UP), India. He is the in charge of EMBL -Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology Laboratory.
Dr Saxena has developed a novel bacterial consortium GS-TE1310 based-bioaugmentation process for degradation and detoxification of tannery effluent. He has been honored with the ‘Young Environmentalist Award-2018’, ‘Young Achiever Award-2019’, “Young Scientist Award-2020”, and ‘Young Scientist Award-2021’. He also holds editorial positions in Frontier in Microbiology (SCOPUS), Journal of Applied Biology and Biotechnology (SCOPUS), Microbial Biosystems Journal, and Frontiers in Environmental Microbiology. He is serving in many capacities like reviewer in scientific journals, environmental consultant to industries, and other committees in the university.
He is an active member of the Association of Microbiologists of India (AMI), Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA), and Microbiology Society (MicroSoc), London, UK. Dr. Saxena’s research areas include Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology, Bio/phytoremediation, Microbial Wastewater Treatment, Nanoremediation, Environmental Metagenomics, and Ecotoxicology.
At present, Dr Saxena is engaged in research to develop sustainable environmental remediation technologies for pollution prevention and control. He is a nature lover and has a dedicated cause for environmental protection.
- Saxena, G., Purchase, D., Mulla, S. I., & Bharagava, R. N. (2020). Degradation and detoxification of leather tannery effluent by a newly developed bacterial consortium GS-TE1310 for environmental safety. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 38 (101592).
- Saxena, G., Purchase, D., Mulla, S. I., Saratale, G. D., & Bharagava, R. N. (2019). Phytoremediation of heavy metal-contaminated sites: eco-environmental concerns, field studies, sustainability issues, and future prospects. Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 249: 71-131.
- Goutam, S. P., Saxena, G., Singh, V., Yadav, A. K., Bharagava, R. N., & Thapa, K. B. (2018). Green synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles using leaf extract of Jatropha curcas L. for photocatalytic degradation of tannery wastewater. Chemical Engineering Journal, 336, 386-396.
- Bharagava, R. N., Saxena, G., Mulla, S. I., & Patel, D. K. (2017). Characterization and identification of recalcitrant organic pollutants (ROPs) in tannery wastewater and its phytotoxicity evaluation for environmental safety. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 75(2), 259-272.
- Saxena, G., Chandra, R., & Bharagava, R. N. (2016). Environmental pollution, toxicity profile, and treatment approaches for tannery wastewater and its chemical pollutants. Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 240: 31-69.
- Saxena, G., Bharagava, R. N., Kaithwas, G., & Raj, A. (2015). Microbial indicators, pathogens, and methods for their monitoring in water environment. Journal of Water and Health, 13(2), 319-339.
- Rabbani, A., Zainith, S., Deb, V. K., Das, P., Bharti, P., Rawat, D. S., Kumar, N., & *Saxena, G. (2021). Microbial technologies for environmental remediation: potential issues, challenges, and future prospects. In Microbe Mediated Remediation of Environmental Contaminants. Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier, Cambridge, UK, pp. 271-286.
- Saxena, G., Thakur, I. S., Kumar, V., & Shah, M. P. (2020). Electrobioremediation of Contaminants: Concepts, Mechanisms, Applications and Challenges. In Combined Application of Physico-Chemical & Microbiological Processes for Industrial Effluent Treatment Plant (pp. 291-313). Springer Nature, Singapore.
- Kumar, V., Chandra, R., Thakur, I. S., Saxena, G., & Shah, M. P. (2020). Recent Advances in Physicochemical and Biological Treatment Approaches for Distillery Wastewater. In Combined Application of Physico-Chemical & Microbiological Processes for Industrial Effluent Treatment Plant (pp. 79-118). Springer Nature, Singapore.
- Deb, V. K., Rabbani, A., Upadhyay, S., Bharti, P., Sharma, H., Rawat, D. S., & *Saxena, G. (2020). Microbe-Assisted Phytoremediation in Reinstating Heavy Metal-Contaminated Sites: Concepts, Mechanisms, Challenges, and Future Perspectives. In Microbial Technology for Health and Environment (pp. 161-189). Springer Nature, Singapore.
- Bharagava, R. N., Purchase, D., Saxena, G., & Mulla, S. I. (2019). Applications of metagenomics in microbial bioremediation of pollutants: from genomics to environmental clean-up. In Microbial Diversity in the Genomic Era (pp. 459-477). Academic Press, Elsevier, UK.
- Saxena, G. (2021). Clean-Green Technologies for Environmental Remediation: Technological Developments, Field Experiences, Issues and Future Challenges. Academic Press, Elsevier, USA
- Goutam, S., & Saxena, G. (2021). Green Nanotechnology for Contaminants Removal and Wastewater Treatment. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, USA
- Kumar, V., & Saxena, G. (2020). Microbe-Assisted Phytoremediation of Environmental Pollutants: Recent Advances and Challenges. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, USA.
- Saxena, G., Kumar, V., & Shah, M. P. (2020). Bioremediation for Environmental sustainability: Toxicity, Mechanisms of Contaminants Degradation, Detoxification and Challenges. Elsevier Science, USA.
- Saxena, G. & Bharagava, R. N. (2019). Bioremediation of Industrial Waste for Environmental Safety: Volume I: Industrial Waste and its Management. Springer Nature, Singapore.
- Saxena, G., & Gupta, P. K. (2020) Pankaj Kumar Arora: Microbial Metabolism of Xenobiotic Compounds. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 16(5): 793-801.
- Saxena, G., Kishor, R., Purchase, D., & Bharagava, R. N. (2019). Chandra R, Dubey NK, Kumar V: Phytoremediation of environmental pollutants. Environmental Earth Sciences 78: 418.
- Saxena, G., & Bharagava, R. N. (2016). Ram Chandra: Advances in biodegradation and bioremediation of industrial waste. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 18(3): 979.