Post Graduate Diploma in Disaster Management
|Course Name||PGDDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Disaster Mangement)|
|Eligibility||Graduate in any Discipline. Bachelor's degree with at least 50% marks|
Himalaya is one of the fragile and vulnerable regions and it is susceptibility to environmental degradation leading to natural hazards. The Hindu Kush Himalayas have been experiencing an increased frequency of natural disasters such as landslides, avalanches, floods, flash floods, glacial lake outburst floods, debris flows, wildfires, and earthquakes. Scientific and anecdotal evidence suggests that climate change is contributing to the increasing frequency and magnitude of most of these events. Developmental projects having the potential to cause or aggravate hazards should be studied carefully and formulated to minimize their adverse effects in this regard.
The economic impact should receive adequate attention and cost-benefit analysis should incorporate probable disaster events and the mitigation programmes. Amidst growing concerns around disaster management, Shoolini scientists -- in presence of Vice Chancellor PK Khosla -- presented many recommendations to the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), New Delhi, including the establishment of a Disaster Management Centre to cater to the educational and technological needs of society. Vice Chancellor, in turn, expressed an urgent need of efficient Disaster Management System in the region and showed a keen interest of introducing advanced “P.G Diploma in Disaster Management” course in the center of Research on Himalayan Sustainability & Development with full support and cooperation from national and international institutes and center of Excellence.
Shoolini University has successfully launched the P.G. Diploma in Disaster management, which will not only cater to the scientific and social needs of the state but will also create the human resource to tackle with the post-disaster situation. However, for that the newly approved center would not only bring forth the importance of the hazard management strategies of the region and sharing the significance of these with the masses so that they are deterred from even unintentionally violating the spirit of these plans.
The major objectives of the programme are to:
• Provide comprehensive knowledge to learners on disaster preparedness, mitigation and rehabilitation;
• Enable the learners to carry out risk assessment and vulnerability analysis;
• Generate community awareness, and strengthen institutional mechanism for community mobilization and participation in disaster management;
• Develop communication skills for disaster preparedness;
• Create greater awareness about effective disaster response in various emergency situations;
• Equip learners with tools for meeting emergency medical requirements;
• Technical knowledge on GIS and RS and ITC application on Disaster Management and EIA
• Incorporate gender sensitive disaster management approach; and
• Inculcate new skills and sharpen existing skills of government officials, voluntary activists, development professional and elected representative for effective disaster management.
|Fee Structure (2018-19)|
Fee (in Rupees) : 80800/-
Need-Blind Scholarships are available for meritorious & needy students.